Thursday, November 25, 2010

IBS and Depression

I had a interesting conversation while helping out at Zach's school the other day. I was talking with his teacher's assistant, who monitors the allergy table in the lunchroom. She asked how we figured out our allergies. In the process of telling my story, I mentioned that I was told for 15 years that I had IBS and I was depressed. She told me that a teacher she knew has been having stomach "issues" and had been told it was IBS. The symptoms have continued to get worse and the only answer the doctor had was to increase the dose of anti-depressants.

I encourgaged her to tell the teacher to consider finding an allergist and get tested for food allergies. I also mentioned it may not be an allergy but could be a food intolerance as well. I do believe that IBS exists. However, IBS is what is diagnosed when nothing else is found on the testing for gastrointestinal problems. The literature on IBS will suggest that there are trigger foods. However, these trigger foods are not the typical allergy foods. I know when I was having the most severe IBS attacks, I would make buttered pasta or eat cheese and crackers. Dairy and wheat - two foods that I have found I have intolerances to.

I really don't understand why there isn't more links being made in medicine to the food we eat. One of Zach's classmates Grandma was also helping out that morning. She told me of a toddler she often takes care of. The toddler had complained of headaches and stomach aches, was sick often, and was underweight. Recently, the mother had sought some help for the child and the child is now on a special diet, avoiding several of the common food allergens. The Grandma told me of how amazed she has been at the transformation in the child. The child is gaining weight and is so much happier.

I am fascinated by all these stories. I encourage anyone who is frustrated with not getting full answers or help with their IBS to at least consider the possibility of a food intolerance or allergy. Seek medical advice for following an elimination diet (its not easy to figure out on your own) and request testing. I felt like I did everything I was supposed to do to treat my IBS and it continued to get worse. The allergy testing was the one last stone to overturn, and it changed my life. I do get frustrated that I can't eat certain things, but overall, my life is so much better. I have more energy and don't worry about where to find a bathroom all the time. I still take anti-depressants, but hey, I'm still figuring things out and adjusting. And I noticed the difference there; they help me and I feel better. Isn't that the ulimate goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment