Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Trick or Treating

Halloween is not the most friendly holiday to the food allergic individual; especially those with peanut, tree nut, dairy, wheat/gluten, and soy allergies. Luke, my three year old son, was very sweet to me and my five year old son, Zach. At each house while trick-or-treating, Luke would inform the person who answered the door that his brother is allergic to peanuts. I tried to tell him not to worry about it and that we would sort through all the candy and figure out what was safe, but he continued to tell everyone. I didn't know whether Zach was happy or upset by his brother's attempts. I think he was conflicted. I know I felt that way. It's always a challenge to decide how much to explain to everyone around you about your allergy. Sometimes I feel like its a constant topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment